The need to achieve digital transformation has led to a proliferation of cloud technology. The advent and implementation of the same have drastically changed the functioning of global businesses, enterprises, companies, corporations etc. With Agile workflows increasingly being adopted, the need for a reliable, stable, cost and time effective cross-collaborative solution for software testing was increasingly felt. This resulted in the growing popularity of cloud testing services.
These services have gained maximum traction from QA professionals since they helped revolutionize software development. Thus it is now possible to deliver quality software products within a very short delivery period. This is backed by solid reasons most of which pertain to the benefits of automation testing on the cloud like:
- Real-time collaboration: The basic reason for the development of communication and collaboration tools is to ensure increased efficiencies. The ability to add multiple comments at different stages of the project, test cases, apps and versions along with the facilitation of effective collaboration and broad versatility are good reasons for implementing cloud testing services. There is enhanced cooperation between QA analysts of different teams, higher availability of test suites, tools, detailed reports etc. and effective automation of the delivery pipeline. This results in higher test component reusability and improved efficiency.
- Effectiveness of cost and time: With everything predesigned, there is neither a requirement for installation or update of the available automation testing tools. Primary set-up time is zero. Also, the entire testing sequence is integrated into a single solution with multiple options of different project management tools like:
- Version management,
- Test-case management,
- Requirements management,
- Execution environment management,
- Test reporting,
- Team management etc.
Statistically, it has been found that 30% of defects in software testing results from the erroneous configuration of the test scenarios. Cloud testing services or cloud-based automated testing thus helps to reduce CapEx and operational costs considerably. Total ownership costs decrease as they have lower requirements for hardware components and licensing. Depreciation costs get lowered, thereby lowering the capital expenditure required.
Advantages of using automation tools include high productivity and a shortened testing cycle. Deployment of cloud-based testing additionally enables quick installation and testing tool deployment. This faster testing cycle helps reduce the app’s time to market, thereby giving the companies a competitive edge.
- Ease of access: Cloud enables testing to be conducted anywhere and at any time. Thus software development process improves since its universal availability across the growth enables it to be accessed easily by even remote personnel. With the right authorization, these cloud-cased automated tools can be implemented at their convenience. Resource sharing can thus be easily facilitated at reduced capital costs.
- Versatility: Test targets generally involve several different devices, browsers, platforms, operating systems etc. Instead of following a scheduled progression, testing is done parallelly in all these testing platforms and environments; thereby saving testing time. The ability for quick and active testing coupled with a faster deployment that make cloud testing services a valuable asset to CI and Agile methods. Today, the scope of automated cloud-based testing has broadened further with the inclusion of tablets, mobiles etc. On-the-spot access to virtual resources has made cloud testing an easier process.
- Compatibility of the test environment: Cloud-based testing has a virtual infrastructure. Thus it can be set up with minimal changes in software and hardware configurations. These tools access resources based on test needs. Users have the flexibility to pay for only the resources used in conducting the automated tests. This test environment compatibility is another reason to opt for automation testing on the cloud.
- Faster delivery to achieve markets quickly: In software development, time and quality provide the keys to success, especially in highly complex application requirements. The process of developing software is precisely well-defined but the presence of flaws, errors and bugs tend to cause unprecedented delays. Cloud-based automation testing helps decrease this time, thereby increasing the software development pace by providing real-time reports, effective and efficient testing, extensive collaboration etc.
- Portability: When test services are automated and cloud-based, the service is available 24×7. Thus people can run these tests at their convenience irrespective of the place or time zone they are situated in.
- Scalability: In test automation parlance, scalability covers 2 aspects:
- Platform coverage
- Test scenarios
Automation cloud-cased test services are compatible with almost all platforms, browsers devices etc. is a known factor. But the fact that these tests can be carried out simultaneously across the web and mobile platforms is a proof of the scalability and coverage of the cloud testing services.
- Disaster recovery: Cloud storage is synonymous to storing huge sets of data, especially by developers, when putting a software through its testing stages. Thus data and activity history tracking becomes easier with cloud test automation. Disaster support recovery is much better and with secured 24 by 7 monitoring of the whole infrastructure, organizations become better equipped to undergo audits.
- Security and licensing: Software developers conduct many different types of tests; some in a test environment, some in pre-production stages while even others in the production stage. The complexities of the tests involved in the various stages of software development call for an enterprise-grade secure platform that can support many different types of configurations, authentications etc., as and when required. Cloud-based automation testing also complies with the different certifications required, thereby allowing IT managers, internal users, testers etc., to carry out the necessary functions with peace of mind.
There is a need for quality software complete with innovative concepts and advanced creative technicalities to be produced within a short time. This need transforms cloud testing services into a sought after testing approach. Such activities as automation coverage, business map support, scalability, security etc., can easily be facilitated with the use of cloud infrastructure. Thus organizations today are actively involved in adopting cloud paradigms so that they can start reaping its benefits immediately.