Traditional automation testing solutions are considered a better option to achieve efficiency and accuracy. However, with evolving software development practices and shrinking deadlines, you can’t just rely on traditional automation practices for robust quality at speed.
Challenges with Traditional Automation Testing
Emerging tools leveraging AI and ML use basic automation scripts. It also requires training and expertise to execute automation testing. The current automation approach involves creating the locators, defining behavior for inputs from keyboard/ mouse, and verification to verify if the application is working as per the business logic or not.
Here, creating a locator and defining behavior are complex steps that require advanced skills and efforts. As we move ahead with the process, the complexity increases further for these two parts.
For instance, if we need to test Salesforce lead creation, we require hundreds of lines of codes with multiple complexities in a traditional approach. Each and every step is created uniquely to validate the mobile number, company name, fax, and more. These contribute to a large number of codebases and massive maintenance efforts.
The keywords in the test script use Selenium’s basic actions like sending keys and locators to identify a particular element to click on. But the problem arises in the event of application changes like new features, new themes, or change of location of a button. The script breaks in such scenarios and delivers incorrect results.
Cons of Traditional Automation Testing
- Even after so much of coding, you get a very limited coverage i.e. you can cover only one test case
- The test scripts are still brittle and if one of the locators is broken, the entire script will provide incorrect results
- It also takes massive execution time. For instance, one test case takes 4 to 5 minutes. Hence, if you need to execute thousands of test cases, you would need lakhs of minutes
When you leverage the Test ON approach, you just need to set up the verification in the test data itself. TDK verifies all the verifications automatically within a fraction of seconds. You just need to add simple parameters.
On top of that, you can interact with the application with just two keywords:
- updateDataValue – to update any value in a particular field
- getFieldValue – to retrieve data from any field
Test On approach offers:
Test ON approach helps you keep the entire focus on the verification of business logic providing:
- Precise test objective implementation
- Optimal element locator recognition
- Minimalistic test automation API
- Extensible, CI ready solution
Test ON also helps in the verification of the test case with lesser code complexities. You can use it without creating page locators to get accurate results.
Test ON not only helps in decreasing time, complexities, and inaccuracies; it also ensures greater focus on the entire business logic of the application.
QA InfoTech’s SME Arun Girdhar has given a detailed presentation on how Test ON works and its benefits in our annual testing and quality summit Qualloquium 2020. He was adjudged the Best on our Technical Talk Competitive Round. Check out this video to get hands-on knowledge on this topic.