Traditional ways of teaching and learning have evolved over the years. Mobile apps and online video streaming technology have enabled students and teachers to connect with each other remotely. eLearning applications have significantly limited the need for students and teachers to be physically present in the classroom, although the benefits of a physical classroom session cannot be completely ignored. Now classes can be taken virtually with the near same efficiency of a traditional class, wherein virtual classes bring in their own added benefits.
Amid COVID-19 crisis, the trend of eLearning has gained further momentum to enable learning continuity while maintaining social distancing. Schools and universities from all over the world have joined the bandwagon of eLearning.
If you are also planning to develop an eLearning application then you will find this article helpful. Here, we will talk about the eLearning app types and trends to help you understand the technology better.
Benefits of eLearning Applications
Learn Anytime: eLearning apps enable course material and recorded lectures of teachers to be available round the clock on mobile devices as well as non mobile renderings too. There is a lot of study material available on a single device. Multiple apps also support offline learning where you can download the learning material to access in future.
Affordable: eLearning has enabled students based in remote locations to connect with professors of world class universities at a very reasonable cost. With eLearning apps, every student can gain access to quality education cost-efficiently.
Unlimited Learning: eLearning applications offer a variety of courses. You can learn any course and possibilities are endless.
Efficient Engagement: Students can easily get answers to their doubts and questions, give ratings to the teacher, and also interact with fellow students. Playing quizzes and games to learn in an interactive and fun way is also possible.
eLearning App Development Trends 2020
Rapidly evolving technology and cheaper availability of high-speed internet have reshaped the eLearning trends. The online education industry is going through following trends to achieve higher learner engagement, facilitate remote learning efficiently, and improve student’s performance.
- Make learning more accessible through eLearning mobile apps
- Leverage VR and AR to understand complex concepts practically and easily
- Contextual learning through personalized user accounts and AI or ML algorithms
- Make eLearning more accessible for differently abled people
- Personalized learning solutions as per the performance and learning capability of students
- Self-directed learning
- Digitalize ILT (Instructor-led training) to complete or partial eLearning
- Gamification and microlearning to make the learning process more interesting
Interesting Stats on eLearning Apps
As per Statista, the eLearning market is expected to grow by $243 billion by 2022. When a Washington based organization Gallup conducted a study, 71 percent respondents confirmed that they are able to learn more efficiently with eLearning apps in comparison to traditional methods of teaching. More than 60 percent high school students in the USA leverage only smartphones to search for study and training material.
Types of eLearning app development
eLearning applications can be of multiple types. These include:
Vocabulary App: It can help users improve vocabulary in multiple languages and learn different languages.
Exam Preparation App: Such kind of applications offer multiple types of test series and aptitude tests to help students prepare for various academic and competitive exams.
Course Based Apps: These apps are designed to enroll students in multiple courses. You can unlock more chapters and courses based on the progress of the student.
Virtual Classroom Apps: It enables teachers and students to connect in real-time. Teachers can also use virtual whiteboards to explain complex mathematical problems and diagrams. Students can interact with teachers by sharing screens, voice notes and chat messages. It also allows users to upload previous lectures on the app.
Features to Look Out for in an eLearning Application
An eLearning app basically consists of three panels for administrators, teachers, and students. Different panels come equipped with different features. Here is a quick look at the salient set:
For Admin Panel
The admin panel is meant for the administrator. It is required for a university, college, school, or a coaching center.
Here are the essential features that need to be implemented in the admin panel:
- Sign up and create user profile on the application
- Manage offered courses
- Track the number of students enrolled in a course, analyze students’ performance, and more
- Track and analyze the reviews and feedbacks received from teachers
- Allot courses to teachers
- Use push notification to keep students and teachers updates with upcoming exams, course launches, study tips, and more
- Track and keep record of payments by students
- Manage content present on the eLearning application
- Run quizzes and games to grab more attention from students
- Sign up through email to create a unique user account
- Use dashboard to share videos, manage online classes, and distribute study material among students
- Use time table to schedule online classes for different courses
- Assign homework to students
- Leverage notification receive alerts about queries and doubts asked by learners and updates from institutions in real-time
- Conduct live sessions to interact with students in real-time and answer their questions
- Sign up through email or social media accounts to create a unique profile
- Use search feature to look for a particular subject, teacher, or course on the application
- Use notification to get reminders of scheduled classes, information of new courses, exam results, and more
- Use dashboard to track your progress, track your passed courses, and check other activities
- Write reviews and give ratings to a teacher
- Use chat feature to ask questions to teachers during and after the session
Like all other businesses, educational institutions are also undergoing digital transformation at a rapid pace. Affordable smartphones and cheaper data are catalyzing the growth of the eLearning market. Digitally connected students/ parents are looking for more affordable and efficient learning solutions. For educational organizations, it has become business critical to have reliable, secure, and user-friendly eLearning applications.
QA InfoTech offers end-to-end eLearning app development and QA solutions. Talk to our experts to know how we can help you.