Quality Assurance testing is a critical part of every e-learning app development. Why? Well because developers have lived through its development but the learners will be using it for the first time. Thus every e-learning app needs to be tested to:
- Understand its functionality from the user’s point of view
- Rectify grammatical and spelling errors
- Minutely review the accuracy of the information provided
- Ensure its functionality
- Test for security flaws and any other weaknesses
Today an increase in the use of e-learning apps across devices and platforms, digitisation and online content growth has made e-learning app testing a necessity.
A defect-free app that fulfils end-client requirements and has a quicker time to market is the need of the hour. To enable these, some criticalities require special attention by the E-learning App Testing Services providers.
- Prevention of errors and defects by early detection
- Performance testing with special focus on load and stress testing
- Consistent and frequent learning course improvement
- Testing content and functionality of the app
- Compatibility with multiple device testing including syncing audio and video
- Localisation testing, if applicable
- Availability of content in the context of its usage and at point of need
There are 3 different categories of users involved in the use of e-learning apps. Each of these has different requirements like:
- For the student, the app needs to:
- Ensure easy navigation through the different processes involved like enrolment, payment, search options and be able to rewind, forward or pause as required
- Have a course calendar, simple instructions, better learnability
- Be free from grammatical and spelling errors
- Ensure mobile access
- Enable secured learning
- Have gradation facilities and also be able to retrieve historical data
- The course administrator needs the app to:
- Have an updated and flexible course structure so that new course contents and videos can be added
- Generate notifications and alerts for new registrations, errors etc.
- Schedule virtual classes for remote learning
- Randomise questions for quizzes and exams
- Enable accurate scoring for exams and quizzes and maintain historical data for every student
- Be able to re-grade, facilitate test surveys and hold discussion forums
- Provide a self-help guide for end-users
- Have the proper security mechanisms in place, ensure content copyright and multi-language feature etc.
- For the businessman or investor the app needs to:
- Ensure a hassle-free user experience and generate value,
- Rise above internet connectivity issues to ensure uninterrupted learning cycles,
- Be scalable so that courses and degrees can be added across geographies,
- Have lower maintenance costs, high uptime and round the clock availability,
- Implement the highest levels of security and safety features to enable confidentiality of online financial transactions etc.
Important Tests that Ensure QA of e-Learning Apps
Based on the above needs it is clear that E-learning App Testing Services need to focus on the learnability of the app along with ensuring seamless usability, functionality and efficiency. These e-learning apps also need to fulfil the requirements of SCORM, a standard developed for e-learning products. Some of the important and critical tests that need to be done to ensure the above are:
- Functional testing: This checks to see if all the features associated with the e-learning app are working properly. Some of the common features that are checked include:
- Screen size and orientation
- User interface
- Performance testing: This uses various scenarios to test the app in real-life conditions. Several parameters can be checked by performance testing of the e-learning app like:
- Various graphical elements,
- Different app modes,
- Stress and load testing etc.
- Usability testing: This checks to see if the app is easy to use, understand and navigate. It also tests for the comprehensiveness of the app.
- Localisation testing: E-learning apps are generally designed for students across different geographies, time-zones, countries with different currencies etc. Thus to test location related parameters E-learning App Testing Services apply localisation testing.
- Security testing: Since financial transactions and student sensitive data form an important part of every e-learning app, it becomes necessary to ensure that the app has no security flaws. Presence of these flaws can result in critical and confidential data falling into wrong hands, the repercussions of which could prove disastrous.
Critical Tips to Ensure the Success of the e-Learning App
While the above tests are being conducted, certain important points need to be kept in mind. These points ensure increased effectiveness and fruitfulness of the QA processes. They include:
- Using a fresher perspective: All new e-learning apps being developed need to be reviewed by people who are not a part of the development process. If developers test the app, they need to do so with a new mind-set. However, error detection might become difficult for such people. Thus getting people not associated with the app development helps as they access the developing app from a fresh perspective without having any preconceived notions and bias. They can spot vital errors faster and with greater accuracy. Care should be taken, however, to maintain the confidentiality of the app when using freshers to test it.
- Stress on performance testing: E-learning App Testing Services need to ensure that more focus is given to performance testing for e-learning apps. Testing done has to be rigorous so that the platforms are flawless, easy to understand and offer superlative usability.
- Focus of using unique testing processes: This is critical for e-learning apps since there will be numerous students using this app. Thus it is very important to test it from a student’s or learner’s perspective. Breaking the course into small modules and testing them individually will help engineers find gaps and weaknesses that would otherwise remain hidden.
- Expert focus: While a fresher’s perspective provides a better understanding of the weaknesses of the e-learning app, most E-learning App Testing Services prefer using experts to take the e-learning app testing to the next level. The strategies that they device and the expertise and experience that they bring to the e-learning app testing process is invaluable.
- Usability testing is mandatory: This goes beyond generic functionality testing to incorporate user experience into its scope. It helps develop specific strategies to test every function of the e-learning app.
- Compatibility testing is critical: As mentioned earlier, an e-learning app needs to be compatible with varied devices, platforms, browsers etc. Compatibility testing might seem time-consuming but for an e-learning app, this testing might be the factor that enables the e-learning app to become a complete success.
Importance of having a SCORM Compliant e-Learning App
This is another critical area that deserves a special mention. SCORM is a de facto standard which is commonly implemented by all top e-learning apps. Making an e-learning app SCORM compliant has multiple benefits associated with it like:
- Plug and play functionality support which enables developers to reuse the same course multiple times thereby making it time and cost-effective and also creating interactive content,
- Supporting interoperability of different e-learning apps,
- Implementation of technological changes can be done without redesigning, reconfiguration or recoding of the e-learning app,
- Enabling enhanced adaptability so that training programs can be aligned with the different job roles and learner groups,
- Auto-tracking of learner progress and performance becomes a possibility thereby making it easy to generate reports after course completion regarding scores and grades achieved, time spent on separate modules individually etc.,
- Delivering a continuous learning experience etc.
An e-learning app development is a very critical process as it deals with the future of learners. Testing or QA of e-learning apps has thus to widen its ambit to go beyond performing just quality checks. Complete removal of all flaws and ensuring superlative app performance by E-learning App Testing Services providers becomes an essentiality.