The COVID pandemic has not only affected us as a species but has also altered our lifestyle and the way we interact with businesses. Coupling that up with the highly competitive world out there, most enterprises are now seeking to have a non-disruptive and uninterrupted relationship with their end-users using their systems and not lose them out to competition.
Herein, service providers want to go the extra mile for retaining their customer base. In order to uphold that loyalty, they need to give the diverse user base the same seamless experience independent of the platform they use to access.
It is important for a customer to be able to do things the same way no matter whether they are using smartphones, laptop, iPad or even Smart TV. The slightest inability to work on one platform will automatically change their preferences.
This kind of enablement for customers has also made it critical for businesses to make their applications compatible on all platforms. Also, there are thousands of devices available in the market running on different type(s) and version(s) of OS platforms which makes the customer base even more complex and varied.
In order to cater to this, compatibility testing plays an important role. It aids in determining the suitability of an app in the different environments that it has to support.
Checking for hardware and software compatibility needs to include both older and newer versions. Thus, apps need to undergo two different types of compatibility testing including:
1. Forward Compatibility Testing
This checks for compatibility of the app with the newer versions of the different platforms.
2. Backward Compatibility Testing
This checks whether the app is compatible with older versions of the different hardware and software elements.
Categories of Compatibility Testing
The importance of compatibility testing in attaining digital transformation can also be judged from the different types of compatibility testing that software has to undergo like:
- Hardware compatibility checks for the app’s alignment with different popular mobile device models, laptops etc.
- Device compatibility checks to see whether the app functions on different devices like scanners, printers, USB or other Bluetooth devices etc.
- Operating system or OS compatibility testing, wherein the performance of the developing app with different OS like Windows, Mac is tested
- Browser compatibility, whereby testers check to see how the app functions when accessed using browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer etc.
- Network compatibility assesses the app’s capability to handle different network operating speeds, capacity and bandwidths
Need for Compatibility Testing to Attain Digital Transformation
The need for compatibility testing arises from the fact that the functioning of software gets affected by the different versions of operating systems, mobile platforms and their different network speeds, configurations and bandwidths that it is working with.
Consequently, not testing for its compatibility before initiating digital transformation, especially at the enterprise level, can have disastrous consequences like inoperativeness across different platforms and bandwidth.
The need for compatibility testing in achieving digital transformation can never be over-emphasised. Certain predictable errors and bugs present in the newly developed software include:
- Issues related to style and colour of CSS
- Inconsistency in content display
- Problems with website navigation
- User interface problems and issues
- Alignment glitches
- Changing font size
- Overall presentation of the app developed might not be as per the demands of the client etc.
The negative effect of the above-mentioned issues on customer experience cannot be denied. Businesses looking forward to achieving digital transformation can even incur losses because of the same.
How Compatibility Testing Helps Achieve Digital Transformation Successfully
Customer satisfaction is the key objective of undergoing digital transformation. Some important features of compatibility testing that make it crucial for obtaining digital transformation goals are:
- Timely bug fixing: Bug fixing is always easy when done during the development stages. Finding errors, glitches and issues after the implementation of digital transformation is time-taking and challenging. Compatibility testing for devices, OS or browser versions post the implementation of software is very costly as more efforts are required to ensure digital assurance.
- Enhancement of software development process: Since compatibility testing is generally done during the software development stage, the quality of the software being developed gets enhanced during its formation. Some characteristics of the software that come to light during compatibility testing are its usability, scalability and stability when used in different environments.
- Meeting business/user expectations: Business and user demands are ever-evolving. Compatibility testing not only helps businesses meet the underlying customer demands but also ensures a satisfactory customer experience. App optimisation during its development offers. Enabling a flawless and uniform experience across different computing environments makes it easy to ensure a healthy business outcome.
It goes without saying that compatibility plays a key role in a company’s attainment of digital transformation. Ensuring a positive business outcome helps boost referrals and recommendations for the concerned business. Since building the stature and reputation of a brand is one of the core reasons for obtaining digital transformation, compatibility testing becomes mandatory and important for every app or software.